NRLW Part Of NRL TV Deal For First Time
Interim NRL CEO, Andrew Abdo, has said women’s rugby league remains a priority for the code and will be included in ongoing discussions over a new broadcast deal.
Abdo also said he is confident the NRL would be able to announce a schedule for the women’s competition in the coming weeks, with the NRLW and women’s State of Origin fixture originally scheduled for June 19.
“The women’s game is a priority and something we’re all very passionate about,” Abdo said.
“It has been part of the discussions and remains a priority for us, but we haven’t finalised what their schedule looks like this year and that will be something we will finalise in the coming weeks,” he said.
Previously, the NRLW was not a part of the current broadcast rights cycle until a makeshift agreement was reached to include the women’s competition before its inaugural 2018 season.
This news comes amid comments from the Warriors CEO, Cameron George, last week, surrounding their women’s club’s future in the competition, indicating the club may be unable to remain in the mix post-COVID-19.
When the season’s future was first put in doubt in March, with the Broncos and Roosters claiming they would be withdrawing from this year’s competition to aid cost-cutting amid the pandemic, NSW Women’s State of Origin coach, Andrew Patmore said he was concerned for the future of NRLW.
“We’re all very realistic about it and understanding how the business works,” Patmore said.
“With the NRLW, the clubs fund a lot of that.
“I’ve got concerns over that.
“The commercial side runs our game and pays our bills,” he said.