A Stellar season on and off the court for the Sydney Kings, along with the presence of star player Andrew Bogut, propelled the club to a $1 million-plus rise in commercial revenue and a record 40% uplift in memberships.
Although the Kings missed out on a grand final appearance, Bogut’s singing with the club attributed to the unprecedented growth across ticket sales, memberships, sponsorships and merchandise sales during the season.
Sydney Kings CEO, Paul Kind, was pleased with the progress the Kings had made this year.
“I was fortunate to become an owner and interim CEO of the Sydney Kings at the start of what has been a very memorable season,” Kind said.
“Acquiring a player and person the calibre of Andrew Bogut was a major moment for the Club and Andrew exceeded out incredibly high expectations.
“We set aggressive targets for this Club to be successful off the court, but you can’t do that without success on the court and a playing group who understand their responsibilities to engage and entertain our fans.”
“We committed to delivering a world-class entertainment experience at home games and combined with a winning team we saw record crowds, membership & corporate sales, which provide the foundation to drive further growth.”
Some of the Club highlights from the 2018-19 season include:
- The number of tickets sold increased by 92% from 2017-18
- Sydney Kings membership saw an increase of 40% compared to the 2017-18 season
- Average attendance at Qudos Bank Arena increased by greater than 2,500 per game from the 2017-18 season (6,320 to 8,932).
- Attracted the two biggest standalone home crowds in franchise history, the first – 14,569 – for their Semi Final game against Melbourne United at Qudos Bank Arena which beat an earlier record set on December 23 of 12,050 in Round 10 also against Melbourne United.
- For the first time ever in franchise history the Kings attracted more than 100,000 fans through their doors (119,404 fans for the regular season in 2018-19).
- For the first time ever in franchise history the Kings surpassed more than 200,000 spectators in a regular season (totalling 216,063) to watch them at home and away venues. This included record crowds in Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Wollongong and New Zealand.
- The Kings attracted the third largest road crowd in franchise history – 13,520 – when they played the Perth Wildcats at RAC Arena 10/02/19. The 13,520 is also the fourth largest crowd overall ever to see a Sydney Kings game.
- Merchandise sales increased 50.2% from the 2017-18 season
- The Club attracted 12 new sponsors for the 2018-19 season and beyond
- The Club increased its corporate commercial revenue by more than $1M since last season
- The Kings dramatically increased their media coverage across NSW, Australia and internationally