AFL Grand Final Parade Scrapped Again In Melbourne
or the second year in a row, the AFL Grand Final parade will be cancelled due to COVID-19.
As the league was considering a new version of the parade and the Footy Festival event surrounding Marvel Stadium, it was confirmed on Tuesday this would not occur in 2021.
There was no Grand Final parade last year when Brisbane held the Grand Final, and with AFL Grand Final host city Melbourne currently in lockdown, events during the Footy Festival have been called off due to the ongoing uncertainty caused by COVID-19.
The AFL is yet to confirm where the Grand Final will be held this year, though it remains interested in returning the flag decider to the MCG.
Whether the Grand Final is held in Melbourne or interstate for the second consecutive year will determine the number of fans permitted at the event.
AFL executive general manager of customer and commercial, Kylie Rogers, said: “We are really saddened that we are unable to deliver footy fans two of our annual lead up events to the Grand Finals.”
“We have explored every avenue, but anything that involves a parade is difficult to deliver under the current challenges that are associated with the pandemic in the community.
“Our priority throughout the last 18 months has always been the health and wellbeing of the community and remains our number one propriety.
“On behalf of the AFL, I would like to thank the Victorian State Government, the City of Melbourne, our corporate partners, clubs and most importantly, our incredible members and footy fans for their understanding.
“The AFL is absolutely committed to bringing the traditional Grand Final Parade back to the City of Melbourne in 2022 and beyond.
“We will continue to adjust our thinking as required and once again provide fans an iconic part of the Grand Final week in Melbourne when it is safe to do so,” Rogers said.